Segway your way around Chicago with this great tour!

My parents visited Chicago last month, so I took it as an opportunity to bring them on a tour that I've been dying to take!  I do know alot about Chicago, but it's funny how when you live somewhere, you rarely do the touristy things that your city offers.  I did alot when I first moved here 16 years ago, but it was time to try something new.  My parents are great guinea pigs because they are generally down to try just about anything and I wanted to find something different they would really enjoy.

I did a guest post for Got Saga last month in which I highlighted some ideas for off beat things to do around Chicago.  One activity I included was City Segway Tours in Chicago.  I've done a Segway tour at Walt Disney World, but that was ages ago, so when I found out there was a company in Chicago that did tours, I really wanted to try them out.  As I learned, there are actually about 8 companies in Chicago that do Segway tours, but because they all operate differently, I wanted to pick the company that I personally view as the 'Best' so that is why I went with City Segway Tours.  Yes, this is strictly my opinion based on what I like, and what I think other people would like and appreciate as well... safety, small group sizes, knowledgable and fun guides, and a great tour route ~ (All important considerations!).

So it was a gorgeous early May morning, and off we went on the train to head downtown for a 10 am, 3 hour tour.  City Segway Tours is located at 400 E Randolph, just a bit past Millenium Park.  Because there are other Segway outfitters around the city, just make sure that you are heading to the correct place.    After meeting our fun and caffeinated guide Kelsey I could already tell we'd be in for a great day!  We had 7 happy and adventurous people in our group, and we were all super excited to set out for our tour!

After a brief introduction and safety demo, Kelsey helped each of us step onto the Segway for the first time so we could begin to get a feel for it.  It was very easy to learn and in less than 15 minutes, we were all off and on our way riding down the sidewalk.  Because this tour does take place right downtown, you do have to navigate around the pedestrians and other city obstacles, but the Segway is extremely easy to maneuver so it was not difficult at all.

We rode by Millenium Park, Buckingham Fountain, Grant Park, and then down to the Museum Campus which consists of Soldier Field, Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum, and the Adler Planetarium.  We had several photo stops along the way and learned alot from Kelsey about Chicago history and facts about the city.  I got lots of Foursquare check-ins that day as well, and earned my 'photogenic' badge by checking into so many touristy photo spots! =)
And just a tip ~ To get a 10% discount off your Segway tour, just check into City Segway Tours Chicago on Foursquare and mention the Foursquare discount when you get to the office. =)

Another great little highlight of our tour that I was not expecting, was a stop at Kim & Carlo's Chicago Style hot dog stand near the Field Museum.  Wow, what a treat!!  And perfect timing too because I was getting hungry!  If you haven't had a Chicago style hot dog before, you have to try one when you are here.  It actually took me a few years that I lived here before I tried one, but like deep-dish pizza, it's a Chicago staple and local fave!

So all in all, City Segway Tours offered a fabulous tour here in my great city of Chicago and we had a most awesome time.  I was very happy to learn that they have locations in lots of other cities as well - Atlanta, Washington DC, San Francisco, Paris, Berlin, Budapest, and Vienna.  It really is a great way to see the city and enjoy an educational tour that is both fun and adventurous, but not too exhausting either! =)  After the tour, we still had enough energy to spend the afternoon walking around Millenium Park, and then went to Navy Pier.  Since we did this tour in early May, my parents liked it so much they are looking to do ANOTHER tour, perhaps during their visit to San Francisco this week!  So yes it is fun!  And something I definitely recommend, if you are a tourist or a local, everyone likes to learn some city history and one of the best ways is to do it riding a Segway!


If you would like to learn more about tours or accommodation in Chicago, please feel free to contact me.  I would love to set you up!

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Christy,

I did the Chicago City Segway Tour with my husband and two teenage kids a couple of years ago. Everyone agreed it was the highlight of our visit to the city. My sisters and I are planning a trip to the city with our 73 year old mom in August. She is in good health and has indicated that she "might" be up for doing the Segway tour. How old are your parents? Did they enjoy it too? Did they have any trouble getting the hang of it?

Get Up Go Travel News said...

Hi Lindsey! My parents are in their 50's and 60's so a bit younger, but they really enjoyed it. They found it very easy to maneuver and caught on very quick; within 10 minutes. I think if your mom is in good physical condition she shouldn't have a problem and it may really be a highlight for her! One thing I would recommend is doing the 3 hr vs the 2 hour tour. You'd think the opposite, but actually the 3 hr tour is a bit more leisurely and takes more breaks where you can rest and get off the segway. Surprisingly, as you may remember, your feet get tired just from the vibration from the segway battery so it's nice to get off and stretch your legs a bit while you take pics. Where will you be visiting from? If you need any other info or suggestions, please contact me at christy@leo-travel.com I'd love to help! I'll be holding a contest for Willis Tower SkyDeck tickets soon as well, so stay tuned for more info on that! Have a great night and thanks for reading! =)

Sending thoughts and prayers to the people in the beautiful Bahama Islands, and all those in the path of Hurricane  Dorian along the east...