I took the "Plummet".... maybe I AM crazy!

Before I start I should just premise this post with the fact that I lived. I loved. I even did it twice! So even though I may be crazy, I had fun so that's really all that matters, right?


I didn't actually know what I was getting into.  I don't really consider myself a 'risk-taker' or daredevil, but I do like to do things that are different, mostly just for the you-only-live-once factor.  And not that the Plummet is risky or dangerous, but when I saw it, I just knew it was the kind of adventure that was right up my alley!


So, this Plummet I speak of is the Summit Plummet at Blizzard Beach Water Park at Walt Disney World resort in Orlando, FL.  This massive water slide is one of the longest, tallest, fastest water slides in the world!! It is 120 feet (i.e., 12 stories) high and you reach speeds of 55-60 mph when going down the slide! SERIOUSLY?!?! I could obviously tell it was TALL, but perhaps if I had known all these useful little facts beforehand I may not have tried it. So there may be something to that whole what-you-don't-know-won't-hurt-you thing and basically I'm really glad I did it!


Blizzard Beach overall is so fun, and such a Cool concept, being a Ski Resort theme and all. The center point is Mount Gushmore, and many slides start from the top of this mountain. Like all good ski resorts, there is a chair lift that takes you to the top of the mountain. Once at the top, there is a super fun family raft slide, tube slides, and other body slides you can get to. The park was not crowded at all on the day we were there, and the weather was just perfect!


So the pictures give some idea of how tall the Summit Plummet is and you can kind of get a sense of the steep drop.  I'm actually afraid of heights so I wasn't sure how I was gonna do once I got up there, but I tried not to think about it too much. Mind over matter. Don't let your fear get in the way of what you want to do. I'm trying to convince myself this as I'm riding the chair lift to the top. It was only the height thing that bothered me, but the slide itself looked fun and I wanted to try it. I was a little apprehensive as I climbed the stairs to the very top, but I had on my 1-piece swimsuit, I felt prepared... I wasn't gonna be scared. My husband and daughter were waiting at the bottom to watch me, and call paramedics if needed. ;-)


There wasn't a line so I really didn't have much time to think about what I was about to do...probably a good thing! I got to the top; the person in front of me was just about to go down and the ride attendant was talking to him and saying how it wasn't so bad, and that the height is one story below Tower of Terror. So if you can do Tower of Terror, you can do this. And I thought to myself, 'Okay... that's cool. I've done T of T. I can do this too.' The guy ahead of me made it down alive and seemed to be Ok, so how bad could it be. So I laid down, the arm thing went up, and down I went. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! Like 3 seconds later I was at the bottom and let me tell you it was SO much FUN!!! I had my eyes closed and I think I screamed the whole way down, but it was awesome!! It felt like I went really really fast, but certainly not 50 or 60 mph~ Whoa! I felt speed and water spraying, (and a major wedgie), but that's about it. I didn't get that weird nauseous stomach feeling; I just felt exhilaration and FUN! After I got to the bottom, I immediately jumped up and wanted to do it again. Unfortunately I don't have actual documentation of me doing this, so you'll have to take my word for it. I wouldn't lie to you! It was definitely DEFINITELY fun! So I highly recommend doing this slide, if you're in FL, and you go to Disney, and go to a water park, go to Blizzard Beach and do this slide! 


I did get my daughter to try the Slush Gusher, which is another exciting water slide, but it has 2 humps rather than 1 plunge and isn't quite as tall as the SP. The Slush Gusher is also fun and my daughter did like it, but we both agreed that the only downside was that it hurt your back a little when you slide over where the seams are (where the slide pieces are put together). Other than that it was a really fun slide, but for an adventure slide, I preferred the Summit Plummet for sure. We had a great day, and were so lucky that it wasn't crowded. 


So that's the Summit Plummet. Try it. You may be really glad you did!


Love this quote:
"I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing that I wanted to do."  - Georgia O'Keeffe




2 comments:

Get Up Go Travel News said...

This is a test. This is only a test.

Unknown said...

You are a really good writer!! I'm going to enjoy following your blog!

Sending thoughts and prayers to the people in the beautiful Bahama Islands, and all those in the path of Hurricane  Dorian along the east...